The ever-increasing awareness of breast cancer has made, self-examination, recognizing its signs and symptoms easy for everyone. Still, there are many other forms of cancer that shows no or subtle signs which are generally ignored. Believe you me, but even sighs like a persistent stomach ache or a cough can indicate cancer of any female reproductive organ. One such cancer is cervical cancer.
Cervical cancer is the cancer that begins in the uterine cervix. A cervix is the lower end of the uterus that connects to the upper vaginal region. Like other forms of reproductive cancer, cervical cancer if detected early has a very high cure rate. There are solutions like vaccination and even surgery to eradicate the causative roots and spreading of it.
What is Radical hysterectomy?
Radical hysterectomy is a surgical treatment procedure done to treat uterine or ovarian cancer. Here, the cervix along with an inch or 2 of the vagina (around the cervix) is removed if any cancer is detected in the cervix.
Other Reasons for Opting Hysterectomy
Apart from treating cervical cancer hysterectomy is carried out for several other reasons. They are,
- In case of conditions like endometriosis, adenomyosis or uterine prolapse.
- If a benign uterine growth is detected.
- If one experiences heavy vaginal bleeding.
- If uterine fibroids are detected.
- As a preventive treatment of certain precancerous gynecologic conditions
Types of Radical Hysterectomy
- The type 1 hysterectomy
- Extrafascial or simple hysterectomy is the procedure where the cervix along with the uterine corpus is removed but the parametrial is mostly left undisturbed.
- The type 2 radical hysterectomy
- Wertheim operation or modified radical hysterectomy is an advanced form of hysterectomy. Here, minimum disruption to the ureteral and vesical vasculature is maintained while removing the central portion of the parametrial tissues.Also, this procedure is conjugated with the removal of a portion (1 cm) of the upper vagina, pelvic and para-aortic lymphadenectomy.
- The type 3 radical hysterectomy
- The objective of this operation is to remove as much parametrial tissue as possible while preserving the superior vesical artery.Also, this procedure is conjugated with the removal of a portion (2–3-cm) of the upper vagina, pelvic and para-aortic lymphadenectomy.
In the procedure the doctor (gynecological oncologist) generally removes:
- The tissues holding the womb
- Womb (including the cervix)
- The top region of the vagina
- The lymph nodes in/around the womb
- Once an early cancer is detected, the surgeon removes the uterus and tissue fibers associated with it.
- Once the cervix is removed, the surgeon stitches the top region of the vagina. Soon, the vagina seals (heals) into a closed tube and does not open into the pelvis.
Health is prioritized over everything. Therefore, Motherhood provides you with a hassle free diagnostic, treatment, and patient care services. With our experienced group of doctors, set of ever advancing technology opted, sophisticated as well as welcoming infrastructure and skilled gynecology surgeons, the department offers you more than just a treatment.
Hysterectomy is not an easy procedure, physically and emotionally. There are risks and doubts of becoming sterile. Therefore, at Motherhood our doctors recommend you this treatment option only after a careful examination, study and collaboration with the experts from other fields like urogynaecology, gynaecologic oncology and reproductive endocrinology to ensure you receive the best multidisciplinary care. Therefore, there is more than just one reason to entrust us with your health.
Book your appointment today with our experts or send us an enquiry.