1. How can working women include nutrition in daily foods. When are supplements necessary?
Women needs more nutrients than men. The different nutritional needs is due to the male and female hormones.
Many working women face iron deficiency because of the blood lose during menstruation. Also it is difficult for them to have a proper meal during the work time. So it is important include meat, fish and poultry in the regular diet. Vegetarians can consume Spinach, kidney beans, black beans, lentils, split peas. These are high in iron source.
Deficiency of Iron or vitamins show particular symptoms or there will be changes in your body. So women have to be very careful in observing the changes in the body. Instead of neglecting these, understand why it is happening. For example iron deficiency may lead to anaemia, tiredness etc. Deficiency of Vitamin B 12 may lead to tingling effect in hands and feet, irritability or depression. This is the time you have to consult your doctor and take the supplements.
But these supplements are useful in safeguarding you against occasional nutrients shortfall. They can’t compensate for an unbalanced or unhealthy diet. To make sure that you get all the nutrition, you have to include fruit, vegetables, quality protein, healthy fats in your food.
2. Food habits in working women (example how much should be their water intake, dairy products for calcium, should they avoid too much salt and sugar in their diet…if so then why? What should be their ideal dinner time. What should they eat for breakfast and dinner)
Every person needs minimum 2 litres of water everyday.
Having diet rich food is not sufficient. Also having the food at the right time matters a lot. Skipping breakfast or lunch is not a good idea.
For adults ideal time for dinner should be 7 pm. But working women may find it difficult. So they can have light foods like salads or soups for dinner. They can opt for heavy breakfast in the morning.
Food with too much salt or sugar should be avoided to prevent risk of hypertension and diabetes.
It is better to include 2 servings of fruits in a day. But it is not advisable to eat both fruits together.
Its is good to have 3 big meals and 5 small meals for healthy metabolism and maintaining weight.
3. Vegetarian working women (how can they make up for protein, calcium, omega 3) Do they need to take supplements to make up for the loss.
Vegetarian diets can be healthy. But having a balanced diet requires some extra attention. By eating a variety of foods including fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds, soy products, and whole grains, vegetarians can get adequate nutrients from non–meat sources.
- Vegetarians should be sure to eat a variety of whole grains such as whole wheat bread, pasta and tortillas, brown rice, oats, bulgur, and quinoa.
- For the healthy body, fats are also required. Healthy fats include nuts or nut butters, oils, and avocados
- Nuts, nut butters, soy foods, beans, peas, dairy foods such as milk, yogurt, and cheese and eggs all provide good protein.
- Include figs and apricots in your breakfast and snacks to avoid iron deficiency. Green leaves like spinach also helps for this.
4. Nutrition during pregnancy and after child birth (kind of food women should eat before and after child birth)
Your body has increased nutritional needs during pregnancy. Most pregnant women can meet these increased nutritional needs by choosing a diet that includes a variety of healthy foods. Grains are a good source of energy. Fruits and vegetables are packed with antioxidants, fiber, and water-soluble and fat-soluble vitamins. The food groups that include meats, nuts, and legumes provide your body with protein, folate, and iron. Dairy products are the best source of calcium and vitamin D.
5. How long should be the maternity leave for women?
Minimum 3 months of leave should be there. Ideally one can take 6 months leave for a complete recovery. This is mainly for the baby. Baby needs the mother most in these 6 months. Also if the mother stops breastfeeding after 3 months, baby may have infections like ear infections because of the low immunity level.
6. Should women work during the first trimester? When should they get back to work? Is taking a short maternity leave and getting back to work soon after delivery ok for the health of mothers?
Of course yes. She can work in the first trimester unless she has low lying placenta and has heavy bleeding. If she starts working she gets good exercise too.