1800 108 8008
Home / Fertility / Embryology
Embryology is the branch of biology that deals with the prenatal development of gametes, fertilisation, and development of embryos and foetuses. Embryology is a very important field of study as it helps in understanding the working of the human reproductive system and helps in treating infertility and various other congenital birth defects that occur before birth.
What does an Embryologist do?
An embryologist is a medical professional who specialises in embryology. The embryologist has an in-depth knowledge of the eggs, sperm, and the embryos. Embryologists help in assessing the quality of the eggs or the sperm and help in treating infertility. Embryologists also carefully analyze the embryo for the presence of any birth defects. The main functions of an embryologist are:
• Assess the quality of eggs and sperm.
• Review and prepare the high quality of sperm sample for infertility treatment methods like IVF, ICSI etc.
• Review and harvest high-quality eggs.
• Fertilize the eggs with sperm for In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF).
• Inseminate the eggs with a single sperm during intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
• Perform complex operations like assisted hatching when required.
• Track the growth and development of the embryo and look out for any abnormalities.
• Perform a pre-implantation genetic diagnosis to check for genetic abnormalities.
Advantages of Embryology
Embryology is one of the greatest developments of modern science. With the help of embryology, doctors can now perform various operations and procedures to treat infertility, to avoid birth defects, and so on. Embryology can help in the following ways:
• Treat infertility through techniques like IVF, ICSI etc.
• Help in the screening of birth defects, especially in high-risk groups (for instance, in case there exists a genetic disease that runs in the family, or if the couple already has a child with birth defect).
• Enable high-risk groups to get pregnant without complications (like couples who have had multiple miscarriages or women over the age of thirty-five.).
• Reducing the risk of pregnancy-loss by carefully selecting high-quality eggs, sperm, and embryos for implantation.
• Empower the parents to make an informed decision when it comes to abortion and other similar situations.
Embryology thus plays a very important role when it comes to pregnancy and childbirth. With the help of embryology, many people can successfully overcome infertility, avoid genetic disorders in their children, and lead happy and fulfilling lives.
Motherhood is one of the leading chains of maternity, childcare, and fertility hospitals in the country. Our multi-disciplinary team of highly qualified and experienced specialists includes obstetricians, neonatologists, embryologists, gynaecologists, counsellors, and paediatricians. At Motherhood, we strive to uphold only the highest standards of care.