1800 108 8008
First trimester pregnancy tips- Do’s and don’ts by experts
Author - Dr. Surabhi Siddhartha MBBS, DGO
Consultant - Obstetrician & Gynaecologist at Motherhood Hospital Kharghar, Mumbai
The whole period of pregnancy can last up to 40 weeks where it is divided into three semesters. The first trimester begins from the fertilization of the egg with sperm and lasts up to week 12 of the pregnancy. This period is accompanied with a lot of changes that occur in a woman's body where you may begin to worry about the decisions and choices that are best for you and your baby. So, during the first trimester of pregnancy precautions along with right decisions are important.
Quick Fact: During week 6, your baby begins to develop bulging eyes on each side of its head.
Do’s during first trimester
There are some things that are important during the first trimester to help with the growing baby inside your womb, as:
- Grab in some folate: It is recommended that about 600 micrograms of folic acid should be consumed during the first trimester of pregnancy, as it is utterly important to prevent any birth defects. If you are likely to become pregnant, start taking folic acid supplements to boost your pregnancy in a healthy way.
- Say yes to prenatal vitamins: You must increase the week by week nutrition during pregnancy as you have to feed in two lives. Along with folate, calcium, iron, and zinc should be consumed i.e. try to eat healthy during pregnancy, that will make your body strong along with helping in the development of the baby.
- Set up your appointment: You should consult your doctor once you become pregnant so as to clear some confusions or questions that may be in your mind regarding it. Besides, you can discuss with your healthcare provider about medications and supplements that are safe during this period.
- Stay active: It’s always recommended to stay active during pregnancy. Doing some exercises can really benefit a woman during the first trimester as it can decrease the stress levels, balance the emotions, lower the risk of diabetes, and allow better sleep.
- Drink more: It is very important to stay hydrated during the course of pregnancy. Hydration will prevent many 1st trimester pregnancy symptoms like dizziness, constipation, headaches, and also preterm labor.
- Get plenty of sleep: First trimester of pregnancy symptoms include exhaustion as major changes are occurring inside your body. It is therefore important to get quality sleep of 8-9 hours.
- Take a flu shot: Many experts recommend that pregnant women should take flu shots as infections can be harmful for the growing baby. Taking a flu shot can ensure that you protect your baby and yourself.
Don’ts during first trimester
There are some 1st trimester pregnancy precautions that you need to follow, as:
- Don’t drink alcohol: First trimester of pregnancy is very important as the baby starts to grow where its brain also begins to develop. Drinking alcohol can correspond to the damage of the brain resulting in poor memory, abnormality in some features, poor coordination etc. where experts recommend staying away from alcohol.
- Don’t smoke: Like alcohol, smoking can also be harmful for your baby as it increases the chances of miscarriage along with resulting in birth defects and low birth weight. Therefore, it is advised to quit smoking during pregnancy along with avoiding other drugs that can be dangerous.
- Don’t eat some foods: Foods such as unpasteurized dairy, processed meats, seafood, raw eggs, undercooked meat, etc. should be avoided during the first trimester of pregnancy.
- Don’t drink too much caffeine: Drinking too much caffeine can also affect a baby's heart rate and placenta during the first trimester. Hence, one should limit caffeine intake during this period.
- Don’t clean the litter box: Cleaning the litter box of cats can cause infection in pregnant women where it is better to avoid cleaning such things.
At Motherhood Hospitals, we have a team of experienced super specialists backed by the latest in infrastructure and facilities. We have the best Gynaecologist in Kharghar, Mumbai. We are experts in handling complex deliveries, gynaecological, and other surgeries including a range of laparoscopic surgeries.
Do take an appointment with the best Gynaecology hospital in Kharghar, Mumbai at a centre closest to you. Meet with our doctors who will carry out the required investigations, diagnose the issue and recommend the most appropriate treatment, enabling you to lead an active life.
Leave a Comment:
Stay update don our latest packages, offer, news, new launches, and more. Enter your email to subscribe to our news letter