1800 108 8008
Role Of Laparoscopic Surgery In Gynaecological Cancer Treatment
Consultant - Obstetrician & Gynaecologist at Motherhood Hospital Alwarpet, Chennai
Today, the ever-changing lifestyle of women have increased their chances of many health diseases, especially cancer. The most common cancer type found in woman's breast, cervical, lung and gynaecological cancers. Most of the abnormal vaginal discharges, abnormal vaginal bleeding, feeling of bloating, heaviness, loss of appetite, distention of abdomen, however, if ignored, can cause health issues as bad as cancer. Therefore, it is very important to bring it up to the doctor if you notice these symptoms for a prolonged period of time.
It is very important to notice the initial symptoms of cancer and get it cured, since it is in the initial stages of detection and treatment that one can defeat cancer.
Gynaecological cancer is very common in women these days, affecting almost 25% of women in India. Gynaecological cancer affects the reproductive system of women. The nature and intensity of cancer depends on the part it is developed in and at what stage it is diagnosed.
Types Of Gynaecological CancersThere are five types of gynaecological cancers. These are as follows:
- Cervical cancer: This type of cancer starts in the cervix, also known as the neck of the womb. When there is an abnormal proliferation of cells, cervical cancer occurs.
- Womb cancer: The womb, also known as the uterus, is a muscular bag that is pear-shaped. Once the fetus is implanted, the role of the uterus is to nurture the implanted fetus. When there is an abnormal division in the lining of the womb, it is termed uterine or endometrial cancer.
- Ovarian cancer: The development of cancer in the ovary is ovarian cancer. When there is a rapid increase of the cell in an uncontrollable manner in the ovary, it is ovarian cancer.
- Vaginal cancer: Vaginal cancer is usually a very rare condition. It occurs when the cells in the vagina start to increase rapidly. It is very common to occur in older women.
- Vulval cancer: Vulval cancer occurs when the cancer cells start to develop in the external female sex organ called the vulva.
Understanding Laparoscopic SurgeryLaparoscopic surgery is a specialised technique of surgery with minimal invasion of the body. It is done with a specially designed thin, long tube called a laparoscope. It has a very high-resolution camera and high-intensity light. Once the laparoscope is inserted into the body through a small incision in the abdominal wall, it starts sending images to a video monitor. The surgery is performed with the help of these video images.
Laparoscopic Surgery’s Role In Gynaecological CancerTreatment Laparoscopy surgery is low-risk, has minimal invasion of the body and requires very small incisions. Laparoscopic surgery is a brief surgery and requires only 2-3 days of rest in the hospital. Generally, patients recover from laparoscopic surgery within a week and can resume their daily routine. Gynaecological cancer treatments now include laparoscopic procedures as well. Generally, the surgery is performed for all small size cervical cancers and ovarian cancers and also for endometrial cancers. Laparoscopic surgery is also performed for borderline and benign tumours. Laparoscopic Surgery In The Treatment Of Ovarian Cancer Although ovarian cancer is a scary experience, it can be treated with the laparoscopic treatment in select cases. In cases that are advanced, laparoscopy is required for confirming the diagnosis and to determine receptibility and 2nd look laparoscopy. Laparoscopic Surgery in the Treatment of Uterine Cancer or Endometrial Cancer Laparoscopic surgery can treat almost 95% of the uterine cancers with the help of total laparoscopic hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-opherectomy (TLHBSO) and retroperitoneal lymph nodes removal (RPLND).
At Motherhood Hospitals, we have a team of experienced super specialists backed by the latest in infrastructure and facilities. We have the best fetal medicine specialists in Alwarpet, Chennai. We are experts in handling complex deliveries, gynaecological, and other surgeries including a range of laparoscopic surgeries. Do take an appointment with the best fetal medicine specialists in Alwarpet, Chennai at a centre closest to you. Meet with our doctors who will carry out the required investigations, diagnose the issue and recommend the most appropriate treatment, enabling you to lead an active life.
Leave a Comment:
Stay update don our latest packages, offer, news, new launches, and more. Enter your email to subscribe to our news letter