50% of infertility issues are male related, know more!
Up to 15% of couples are infertile. This means they aren’t able to conceive a child, even though they’ve had frequent, unprotected sexual intercourse for a year or longer. In over a third of these couples, male infertility plays a role.
Male infertility is due to low sperm production, abnormal sperm function or blockages that prevent the delivery of sperm. Illnesses, injuries, chronic health problems, lifestyle choices and other factors can play a role in causing male infertility.Symptoms
The main sign of male infertility is the inability to conceive a child. There may be no other obvious signs or symptoms. In some cases, however, an underlying problem such as an inherited disorder, a hormonal imbalance, dilated veins around the testicle or a condition that blocks the passage of sperm causes the following signs and symptoms:
- Problems with sexual function — for example, difficulty with ejaculation or small volumes of fluid ejaculated, reduced sexual desire or difficulty maintaining an erection (erectile dysfunction)
- Pain, swelling or a lump in the testicle area
- Recurrent respiratory infections
- Inability to smell
- Abnormal breast growth (gynecomastia)
- Decreased facial or body hair or other signs of a chromosomal or hormonal abnormality
- A lower than normal sperm count (fewer than 15 million sperm per millilitre of semen or a total sperm count of less than 39 million per ejaculate)
When to see a doctor
See a doctor if you have been unable to conceive a child after a year of regular, unprotected intercourse or sooner if you have any of the following:
- • Erection or ejaculation problems, low sex drive or other problems with sexual function
- • Pain, discomfort, a lump or swelling in the testicle area
- • A history of testicle, prostate or sexual problems
- • A groin, testicle, penis or scrotum surgery
Not being able to conceive a child can be stressful and frustrating, but a number of male infertility treatments are available at Motherhood Fertility. We are a renowned fertility and reproductive centre well equipped with expert doctors (male andrologists), skilled team of nurses, counsellors, physiotherapists and clinical dieticians. The team of experts provides comprehensive fertility services backed by our state-of-the-art andrology lab and advanced laparoscopic and surgical treatments for complete resolution of male fertility issues.